Who Will Be Swanley Town Council’s Next CEO?
Well, here goes STC this is your golden opportunity to GET IT RIGHT THIS TIME.
Swanley Town Council has a great opportunity to get it right this time.
Unfortunately there has been a worrying succession of CEO’s in the last few years : There is a legal requirement to exercise due diligence with regards to the Job description and the selection process for candidates :
Swanley is a multi million pound organisation when we consider the financial turnover and the Town’s assets.
As an ex Account Director for a PLC Company with a £200M pound portfolio within my brief I am more than qualified to give an outline of what the town should expect with regards to securing an effective CEO with a proven record of stability.
What should we be looking for in bullet points? Here is the advice I can give.
- An effective Job description that would attract the right candidates from other Districts.
- Spread the net. Don’t rely on questions that only Swanley or local candidates can effectively answer. This is a common error of the inexperienced job description compilers.
- CHECK the CVs. Make sure you exercise due diligence in regards to Fact Checking the CV.s. Look for embellishments. Is a previous position really suitable for the demands of a CEO or an ambitious construction to make it appear so?
- Employment history. There is an absolute necessity to ensure the candidate has a consistent work record. Look for jobs held over the last four or five years : If it is just the one position then fine. If there are signs of ‘Coming and going” then throw the CV in the bin.
- Remember that no candidate in an interview is going to tell you he or she is useless, they may be really good at interviews by having excellent experience of them (not a good quality) and can ‘Own the Room‘. At your level you should have the experience and perspicacity to see “what is, and what isn’t.”
- Don’t be fooled, there is an expression “there are none so blind as those that will not see”, there is real wisdom behind this saying.
- Advertise again if only one or two candidates come forward : Remember the Town has a moral duty to actively seek candidates from all genders and BAME. No exclusions should be made.
- Lastly: Please don’t miss this opportunity and blind yourselves to realities. The Town is waiting for you to put in the effort to select a first class CEO.
If you need any help please feel free to ask (No charge)