A BASKETBALL ARENA COULD COME TO SWANLEY
Sevenoaks Suns, one of England’s leading basketball clubs, is entering negotiations with Swanley Town Council, seeking relocation to Swanley.
It wants to build a barnlike structure, like the one above, to house a number of courts, including a show court with seating for over 500 spectators.
They suggested two possible locations the REC and the OLYMPIC.
The Estates and Facilities Committee of the Town Council rejected the Rec Option but were warm to offering the Olympic Golf Range as a possible site.
The Scheme has a number of advantages for Swanley, but also many disadvantages.
The plus points are:
- It will raise the profile of the town, especially if Swanley is incorporated in the Team’s name.
- It will bring revenue to the Town.
- It will provide sporting facilities for our young people, including school links.
- It will provide a use for the now redundant driving range.
- The bar and restaurant at the Olympic could cash in on the visitors to the club.
The down side:-
- The proposed site is on Green Belt land. Do we want such a building on land we saved last year from Urban Sprawl?
- Is the development aesthetically pleasing?
- Congestion could be caused in Beechenlea Lane. Could it cope with the traffic on big match days?
- The supporters may disturb the local residents.
- Can we provide the hotel accommodation and housing they demand for their players, visitors and staff.
LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK
Would you support a new basketball arena in Swanley?
Can everyone RT so we can get as many responses as possible 👍
— Swanley Kent (@BrighterSwanley) 25 January 2018